The UK is set to introduce a new 12-sided £1 coin from March 28th 2017.
With approximately 1 in 30 £1 coins in circulation being a counterfeit, the new £1 coin has been designed to be ‘the most secure coin in the world’*. We have until October 15th 2017 to spend or exchange our ’round pounds’ and thereafter, they will stop being legal tender.
- Distinctive multi-sided shape with groves on alternative sides
- Bimetallic – the outer gold coloured ring is made of nickel-brass and the inner silver ring is nickel-plated alloy
- Hologram-like image that can look like a £ symbol or a 1 at different angles
- Built-in high security feature
- Thinner, lighter and larger than the current £1 coin.
So what does it mean for your promotional coin keyrings?
The good news is that all major supermarkets** have or are in the process of updating their trolleys to accept both the new and the old £1 coins. This means any branded trolley coin keyrings you have already given to your clients will still be usable at most supermarkets. However, with the old pound going out of circulation by Autumn 2017, when the supermarkets come to replace their trolleys, there is a question as to whether it will be necessary to keep the old £1 compatibility. Therefore we would advice it will still be worth your customers keeping the old coin keyrings, at least until Autumn 2017, whilst considering the new £1 coin keyring as an updated item to add to your promotional selection.
Another use for promotional coin keyrings are lockers, which will also have to be changed across the country to accept the new coin. With millions of lockers across the UK, and with a large proportion at private gyms and leisure centres, it is likely to take some time before all lockers have been adapted. However, once they are changed the new £1 coin keyring will be essential.
The New Branded £1 Coin Keyring – Why Get One?
- Get in there before your competition with a new, current and topical branded product – your clients are unlikely to have one and will appreciate your thought behind it.
- A more interesting 12 sided shape.
- You can personalise both sides with a print or stamped and colour infill to maximise and suit your branding.
- A low cost yet frequently used promotional product.
- Perfect for public sectors, charities, universities and banking
* http://www.thenewpoundcoin.com/ ** http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/news/new-pound-coin-supermarket-trolleys